Can we be honest with one another real quick? It seems there is a huge misconception about the amount of time that it takes to write a great blog post. Now don’t get me wrong…sometimes the words flow quickly and easily, and it takes a little less time than normal to write better blog posts. But for the most part, creating a post that is full of great information that others actually want to read takes a ton of time, effort, and research.
A blog post is so much more than just words being thrown about. There’s research, editing, design, and graphics that must accompany each and every post that is created. Not to mention, it takes a bit of skill level to write a post that people will read all the way through and then feel like they actually learned something.
Blog posts are not only a great way to connect with your audience, but it’s also a highly effective way to get your message out to a wide array of people all at once as well. If you blog, you know how important a great blog post is. And if you find that you are struggling to uncover those simple ways to write better blog posts, here are a few tips to help you along the way!
5 Simple Tips to Write Better Blog Posts
- Write for your readers. We’ve probably all read those posts that are almost as entertaining as watching paint dry, right? It’s truly not a good blog post if it’s not captivating and written for your audience. Don’t force a post by stuffing in keywords for SEO purposes, because your readers will see through it each and every time.
- Write in your own voice. Your blog and blog posts are popular because you’re writing about things that you are passionate about and want to share with others. And more than likely, you’re writing in your own fun and unique style as well. Guess what? Readers actually love that! If someone is reading your blog and they don’t know you, they’ll feel a connection to you and your message based on how you create and craft your posts.
- Read your final draft OUT LOUD. Not in your head, not lip-reading it. In order for your mind to not fill in the words of what “should” be there, you have to read each and every word out loud to make certain it makes sense and flows together well. You’ll be amazed at how many errors you catch just by taking the time to read each word out loud before posting.
- Have your blog post help your readers answer a question or solve a problem. If you are wondering about something, then more than likely others have that same question as well! If you decide to blog about an item, it needs to be valuable to the reader for them to take their time to read it. While fluff blog posts are fun every once in a while, the blog posts that help others tend to last longer in their memory and keep those readers coming back for more.
- Relax and have fun! Seriously. Some of the best posts I’ve ever read were clearly written with passion and excitement about the topic. We all have access to Google to be able to research and find standard facts, so spruce your posts up a bit with fun information that your readers will love as well. It’s ok to have a good time in your writing — and to share those good times with your readers.
Writing better blog posts doesn’t have to be overly difficult. Remember the true key to a great blog post is for you to do your research to create an epic post in your own words. Once you have that down, try implementing a few of the suggestions above as well. You may be surprised at the response that you get from your reader and followers once you tweak your writing style a bit!